PURPOSE OF THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
This privacy notice aims to give you information on how Hilary Grant collects and processes your personal data through your use of our website, your use of our stores or your participation in an event, including any data you may provide when you sign up to our newsletter, purchase a product or service or take part in a competition.
Hilary Grant is the controller and responsible for your personal data (referred to as “Hilary Grant”, “we”, “us” or “our” in this privacy notice).
We have appointed a data privacy manager who is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to this privacy notice. If you have any questions about this privacy notice, including any requests to exercise your legal rights, please contact the data privacy manager using the details set out below.
You can contact our Data Privacy Manager at:
Post: Hilary Grant
Houth, Orphir, Orkney, KW17 2RD
FAO: Data Privacy Manager
2. Information we May Collect From You
When you visit, register or order products or services on the website you may be asked to provide certain information about yourself. In doing so, we may collect and process the following data about you.
This may include information that we collect and that which is given to us with your consent via the Website or by email, including any personal details for example your name, email address, postal address, date of birth and telephone number (and including any other information provided at the time of joining our mailing list, entering competitions or prize draws, and purchasing goods). These details may include:
– Details of goods purchased whilst using the Website and fulfilment of your orders.
– If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence or call.
– Details of your visits to the Website including, but not limited to, click-stream data, HTTP protocol elements, search terms, HTTP cookies, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data.
– The information we collect via the Website may also include your IP address: this is the individual identification number that is assigned to your computer when it is connected to the Internet.
3. Our Purpose for processing your data
Our lawful bases for processing Personal Data are:
– by consent of the data subject;
– necessary for the performance of a contract with the data subject or other person;
– in compliance with a legal obligation;
– or necessary for the purpose of legitimate interests pursued by the Data Controller (except where these are overridden by the interests, right, or freedoms of the Data Subject).
We will only keep your information as long as you remain an active customer and for 6 years afterwards you stop being a customer, for tax purposes or otherwise as required by law.
WHAT IS A COOKIE?
– for technical purposes essential to the effective operation of the Website;
– enabling a service to recognise your device so you don’t have to give the same information several times during one task;
– measuring how many people are using the Website, to ensure there is enough capacity for the Website to operate at a reasonable speed;
– completion and support of the current activity being undertaken by the user, for example previously viewed pages or products;
– monitoring the success of campaigns and competitions;
– website and system administration, for example, tracking the number of website users for marketing purposes;
– remembering pages viewed;
– monitoring your journey around the Website which helps us improve navigation and ease of access to popular pages; and
– remembering items you have saved to your bag on a previous visit to the Website, including where the browser has been closed and a new session has begun.
TYPES OF COOKIES WE USE
The Website uses the following types of cookie:
– Session cookie – this type of cookie allows websites to link the actions of a user during a browser session so that the website is able to store certain information whilst the user is browsing the website. These cookies automatically expire soon after your browser closes.
– Persistent cookie – this type of cookie is stored on a users’ device in between browser sessions and allows the preferences or actions of the user across a site (or in some cases across different websites) to be remembered. These are typically deleted after 6 months.
– Third party cookies – these are cookies that are not set by Johnstons of Elgin but are instead set by a third party and are primarily used for advertising (such as Google Analytics)
You may choose to disable or block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of the Website. For more information about this, please visit https://www.aboutcookies.org.
5. WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to ours or any Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
6. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
– to administer the Website and to help you use the Website;
– to ensure that content on the Website is presented in the most effective manner for users;
– to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
– to remind you of products you have placed in your basket on the website, but have not purchased;
– to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
– to notify you about changes to our goods and / or services;
– to process your payments;
– to keep records of purchases, sales or other transactions for the purpose of ensuring that the requisite payments and deliveries are made in respect of those transactions, and to make financial or management forecasts to assist us in conducting our business activities;
– to allow us to contact you in relation to campaigns and promotions and to monitor the success of such campaigns and promotions where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
– to allow us to contact you in relation to competitions, to process your entry to our competitions and to fulfil our obligation under the competition terms and conditions;
– for the purpose of advertising or marketing our business, our goods and promoting our public relations in connection with our business; and
– to carry out analysis of sales processed through the Website and specific products which have been frequently viewed on the Website for marketing and business development purposes.
For some of the uses of your personal data there is a legal basis under GDPR and all applicable data protection laws for us to use such personal data without your consent where we have legitimate interests, contractual obligations or compliance with a legal obligation to do so.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way, please contact us at email@example.com
7. DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose information about you to law enforcement officials in the investigation of any alleged unlawful activities by you. We may also be required to disclose information to a court or regulatory body when required to do so by law.
We may also share your information with our carefully selected service providers to help manage the Website and provide specialist services, including but not limited to, marketing, profiling and processing online purchases including hosting services, payment services and logistics carriers. These companies are only allowed to use your data under our instruction and in order to help us to fulfil our services to you and they will take all appropriate measures to prevent unauthorised or unlawful access.
We use PayPal to process payments – you can read more about how PayPal uses your Personal Information here: https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-prev.
We also use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site — you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
8. YOUR RIGHTS
Should you wish us to stop sending you email correspondence, you can opt out at any time by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link on the most recently received email or contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org
Where you ask us to stop sending you correspondence through either our postal mailing list or our email mailing list we shall take reasonable steps to remove your details immediately from our email mailing lists.
The Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from other websites. If you follow a link to any of these other websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
9. ACCESS TO INFORMATION
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. To do this, please contact us at email@example.com. We will also request that you provide further information and identification to enable your request to be processed securely. Any such requests will take up to 30 days to complete, once all relevant identity checks are satisfied and completed. There is no charge for these requests. Should we be prevented from disclosing your personal information, reasons will be given for the refusal.
Where we use your personal data on a consent basis, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. You also have the right to ask us to stop using your personal data for profiling or direct marketing processes. You can update, erase or amend your preferences or how we manage your data at any time. If you believe that any information we hold about you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us using the contact details provided in the ‘Contact Us’ section below. We will thereafter correct any information found to be incorrect. You can find detailed information about your rights under the Data Protection legislation on the UK Information Commissioner’s website: https://www.ico.org.uk/
11. CONTACT US
Address: Hilary Grant, Houth, Orphir, Orkney, KW17 2RD